Inspirations

Inspirations
The color you see is the color you get!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Early Happy Halloween

I wanted to make this post a fun one since it is my last post as a CI design team member. I decided to get a head start on October and do a Halloween piece. I created a shadowbox scene with lots of CI paint on it and a bit of  Resplendence Gold glitter.
I started with an old corrugated box which I cut down to size. I covered it with newsprint paper and sprayed it with Halloween colors. Then I covered the inside with black cardstock. The rickety house, tree, raven, cat, pumpkin, fence and zigzag are all made with grungeboard and diecut from one of Tim Holtz's dies. That's where the CI paints came in. All of these items were painted with CI paints. I also cut a cardstock backing for the house which was painted with canary yellow to show through the windows. Those of you who read my posts on a regular basis know that I always like to try experimenting with the paint. this time I thought I would try putting a coat of picket fence distress ink on the grungeboard to act as a base coat. I wanted the CI paints to show brightly and I thought that they might soak into the grungeboard. Well, the effect was a little different than I planned. I forgot that the distress inks react to water and since CI paints are waterbased there was a reaction on the part of the distress ink. However, this oops did work out well. To keep the distress ink from moving around, I pounced the CI ink on the distress inked grungeboard house and tree instead of brushing it on. The result was a cool texture, perfect for brick or bark. On the other pieces of distress inked grungeboard, I sprayed Workable Fixative over the distress ink and then painted with CI paints. It worked great. I used Resplendence Gold Glitter on the moon. The adorable little witch leaning against the pumpkin is a digital image from Digital Delights. Although you can't see it in the above photo, she is attached to the pumpkin with a Wobble spring so she wobbles if you touch her.
Here are the colors I used on my art piece: onyx, coal, pumpkin, rustic red, canary chocolate, winter frost, royal purple, sage, turquoise.
As I sign off for now, I want to thank the many of you who left those wonderful comments on my post over the past many months. Hopefully, you'll also visit me on my blog in the future. I may be leaving the design team, but I'll continue using my CI paints in my work. See you around in blogland.
Barbara Washington -- designer

6 comments:

jessica said...

this is adorable! Love the halloween scene!!

Kimberly S said...

What a cute Halloween scene! Love the pumpkin orange, and the gorgeous sparkling moon. :) hugs, Kimberly

Michelle H. said...

Very adorable shawdow box!
Love how you included a digital image and love all the CI paints you used!

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a neat piece of home decor, Barbara!

Emily D. said...

I love it!! It's super fun and cute!!

Sandie said...

Very creative Barbara, wishing you well in future endeavours.